The majority of Koto-ku sits on reclaimed land built up since the Edo period. Many canals were dug along with the landfill construction and these canals have made a big impact on the industry and culture of Koto-ku. The Fukagawa Waterway Station, whose function was to check waterway-bound trades, originally stood by the Onagigawa waterway at the mouth of the Sumida river, however it was relocated to the point where the Nakagawa, Onagigawa, and Funahorigawa waterways meet. It became the Nakagawa Waterway Office in 1661.
It was at one time hypothesized that the exact point where the Nakagawa Station used to stand was at the present day address of 9-1 Oshima, Koto-ku. Archeological evidence including pillars and foundation stones discovered during an excavation in 1995 confirmed this to be the case. Nakagawa Funabansho Museum is situated 50 meters north of this location.
ではその流れで、やはりコチラの方がよく聞かれる「関所」についても m(_ _)m
Tokugawa shogun placed 53 sekisho (facility for inspection) on major roads across the nation to defend Edo. Hakone Sekisho was one of the largest and was thought to be important among them. Hakone Sekisho was placed on the current location in 1619, during an early period of Edo Era.
One of the main roles of sekisho was to control 'incoming guns and outgoing women', which means to prevent weapons from being brought into Edo and wives and children of feudal lords from fleeing from Edo. However, Hakone Sekisho did not inspect 'incoming guns', and severely inspected 'outgoing women'.
Sekisho, which operated for about 260 years during Edo Era, was dissolved in the next year of 1868, when the government changed.